Typically, the 0xc0000221 error code is encountered right after the computer fails to boot. Most users report that this doesn’t happen at every boot attempt, but several users report being stuck in an Automatic Repair Loop with this error code.
Error codes starting with ‘0x’ usually point towards a system-level corruption problem. However, with this particular error code, the error can also be hardware-related (a newly inserted RAM or insufficient power).
What is causing the 0xc0000221 error code?
After investigating the issue and looking at a lot of different symptoms of the same error, we discovered a couple of different culprits that might generate the 0xc0000221 error code:
- Hardware issue created by new RAM or hard drive – There are a couple of reported cases where users started receiving this error after inserting a second RAM stick or connecting a new slave HDD.
- Secondary GPU – The issue is sometimes reported on computers that have an SLI or CrossFire setup.
- Power supply not capable of delivering enough power – This behavior might occur if your power supply is not large enough to sustain all connected devices.
- System file corruption – The error code points towards a system-level problem that has to do with file corruption.
- Third party service is interrupting startup – There are reported cases where the error was triggered by a rogue third-party service that ended up producing a BSOD crash.
How to fix the 0xc0000221 error code
If you’re actively looking for some troubleshooting steps to help you circumvent the 0xc0000221 error code, we made it easier for you. Below you have a collection of potential fixes that other users in a similar scenario have used successfully to get the issue resolved.
For the best results, follow the methods below in the presented order as they are ordered by efficiency and severity. Start with the first method and work your way down to the next until you find a fix that is effective in resolving the issue for you.
Method 1: Booting in Safe Mode
Let’s begin our troubleshooting quest via making sure that the difficulty is not facilitated by way of a rogue service this is facilitating the BSOD crash. We can ensure that the issue isn’t as a result of 1/3-birthday celebration interference by means of booting your device into Safe Mode.
While in Safe Mode, your laptop will start in a restrained state with best the fundamental files and drivers needed for the Startup process. If your pc boots just exceptional into Safe Mode, we are able to decide that the problem is facilitated by a few software program you previously established.
Here’s a short guide on booting in Safe Mode and identifying the manner that is inflicting the BSOD crash:
- If you are unable to get past the startup screen, you can force the apparition of the Advanced Startup Options screen by forcing two or three consecutive interruptions during the startup process. You can do this easily by restarting your PC during the startup phase.
Note: If you are able to complete the booting process, you can also open the Settings Recovery tab by opening a Run dialog (Windows key + R) and typing “ms-settings:recovery“. Then, simply click the Restart now button under Advanced startup and your computer will restart straight into the Advanced Startup Options menu.
- From the Advanced Startup Options screen, select Troubleshoot and then click on Advanced options.
- Inside Advanced options, click on Startup Settings and then click the Restart button.
- When you get to the Startup Settings again, press F4, F5 or F6 to boot with one of the three Safe Modes available.
- If your computer boots successfully into Safe Mode, it’s likely that service from an application that you recently installed is causing the BSOD. At this point, you can start uninstalling recently installed programs that you feel could be causing the issue or you can use this guide (here) to systematically exclude programs and services from the startup process until you manage to find your culprit.
If you got the same BSOD crash while booting in Safe Mode, continue down with the next method below.
Method 2: Perform an SFC, CHKDSK and DISM scan
Now permit’s make certain that the 0xc0000221 mistakes code is not occurring due to a gadget report corruption through running multiple built-in utilities designed to restoration Windows record corruption.
Several users suffering with the equal problem have controlled to get the difficulty resolved by resolving machine file corruption thru SFC, CHKDSK or DISM scans. This process may take a while, so please arm yourself with endurance and don’t interrupt the system until it’s entire.
Here’s a quick manual on appearing SFC and DISM scans:
- Press Windows key + R to open up a Run dialog box. Then, type “cmd” and press Ctrl + Shift + Enter to open up an elevated Command Prompt. When prompted by the UAC (User Account Control), choose Yes to grant admin privileges.
Note: If you are unable to get past the startup screen, follow step 1 from Method 1 to get into the Advanced Startup Options menu, then go to Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Command Prompt.
- In the elevated Command Prompt, type the following command to initiate an SFC scan:
Note: This utility will scan your system for corruption and replace corrupted Windows file with locally cached copies.
- Once the process is complete, restart your computer and see if the error code 0xc0000221 is no longer appearing. If it still is, follow step 1 again to return to an elevated Command prompt and type in the following command:
chkdsk /f C:
Note: This utility will perform an analysis on your disk and repair any errors it manages to find. Keep in mind that you need to change C to your drive letter if your OS is located somewhere else.
- When the repair strategy is complete, reboot your machine and see if you manage to get past the startup screen. If the same error repeats, return to the elevated Command Prompt using step 1 and type in the following command:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Note: This utility will replace any corrupted Windows file with fresh copies downloaded from Microsoft’s server. It’s important that you have a stable internet connection before initiating this scan.
- Restart your computer and see if the error is resolved at the next startup, if it isn’t, continue down with the next method below.
Method 3: Verifying RAM for issues
RAM sticks are often identified as culprits when it comes to the 0xc0000221 error code. RAM issues can be tricky to identify as even some of the best testing utilities might fail to catch all errors such as mismatched memory errors.
The best and easiest strategy of verifying if your RAM modules are responsible for the error is to open up your PC and remove one of the modules (if you’re using two RAM sticks).
If your computer is starting up just fine with only one RAM stick, try swapping the position of the two RAM sticks – issues sometimes occur when the faster memory is placed behind the slower memory.
If you are suspecting problems with one or both your RAM modules, you can run a MemTest on them – but make sure you let it run for at least 5 hours in order to obtain a conclusive result.
If you managed to clear your RAM modules from the culprit list, continue down with the next method below.
Method 4: Removing secondary GPU and external HDDs or SSDs
Other users have reported being successful in eliminating the error code 0xc0000221 by disconnecting all unnecessary devices. It’s entirely possible that this issue is occurring because your power supply doesn’t have enough power to sustain all connected devices.
Let’s test whether this theory holds true by disconnecting every unnecessary device – secondary HDD, external HDD, DVD optical drive, second GPU from SLI (or CrossFire setup), non-critical peripherals.
Once your PC is stripped to the bare minimum, power up your computer and see if the system manages to get past the startup screen. If your computer manages to boot up without the error code 0xc0000221, systematically re-connect the non-essential components until you manage to identify the culprit.
If this method wasn’t applicable, continue down with the next method below.
Method 5: Using a previous System Restore point
Several users have mentioned that this trouble started occurring right after Windows Update (WU) completed the set up of a huge OS Update. If a botched Windows Update is triggering random BSOD crashes with the error code 0xc0000221, you is probably able to get the issue resolved via using a System Restore factor.
System Restore is a Windows feature so that it will assist you to fix a big selection of crashes by way of restoring your gadget nation to a preceding point in time. With a little little bit of good fortune, we are going to use it to restore the pc to a wholesome country wherein the blunders code 0xc0000221 become now not taking place.
Unless you modified the default conduct your self, your OS should have created a System Restore factor proper before the replace answerable for the mistake was carried out. Here’s a short guide on the use of the System Restore function to solve the mistakes code 0xc0000221:
- Press Windows key + R to open up a Run dialog box. Then, type “rstrui” and press Enter to open up the System Restore wizard.
- In the first System Restore screen, click Next to advance to the Restore Point section.
- In the next screen, make sure to tick the checkbox associated with Show more restore points in order to view every available Restore point.
- Then, select a restore point that is older than the apparition of the 0xc0000221 error code and click the Next button again.
- Click on Finish and confirm a final time by clicking on Yes to kickstart the System Restoring process.
- After a couple of minutes, your computer will restart and the older state will be restored. If all goes well, your machine should no longer crash with the 0xc0000221 error code.
If you didn’t have an appropriate System Restore point or this method wasn’t applicable, continue down with the next method below.
Method 6: Performing a repair install
If none of the methods presented above have allowed you to circumvent the 0xc0000221 errors, you might have to begin considering a easy set up. But before you do so and lose all your private facts, there’s a higher option to be able to will let you maintain your personal documents and packages.
A repair deploy will replace any damaged Windows components that is probably triggering the mistake with fresh copies. But as opposed to a smooth set up, a repair deploy will now not delete person private files (which include snap shots, music, films) or 0.33 birthday party packages.
If you decide to do a repair install, you can comply with our step-by means of-step manual using this manual .