TAR or Tape Archive file is an archive created by a Unix-based utility tar. This utility is used to package multiple files together for distribution and backup purposes. These files will be saved in an uncompressed format along with the information about those files. However, mostly we see this file with the .gz extension, which is the GNU zip compression. GNU zip compression reduces the size of the archive to save the disk space. In this article, we will show you methods about how you can extract these types of files in Windows.
Extracting .tar.gz file in Windows
Extracting a .tar.gz File by 7-Zip
7-Zip is a free and open-source file archiver software for compressing and decompressing files. It is a third-party light-weight application for Windows and does the job of extracting pretty well. It takes only a few steps to extract the .tar.gz file in Windows by using the 7-Zip. Users can extract the files to the same location of the .tar.gz file or provide a different directory where they want to extract files. Follow the below steps to try it out:
- Open your browser and go to the 7-Zip official site. Download the setup file and install it by following the installation steps.
Downloading the 7-Zip
- Go to your .tar.gz file location, right-click on it, and choose Extract files option. Click the Ok button to extract the files in the same location.
Note: You can also set another location for extracting the files.
Extracting the file through 7-Zip
- Now you successfully extracted the TAR file and can open it as a normal folder.
Extracting a .tar.gz File through Online Archive Extractor
Most of the time the users will want to use the quickest method that doesn’t require any installation of the software. Most of the stuff can be done online these days, and extracting compressed files can also be easily done through online archive extractors. However, this method does require a stable Internet connection to make it work. Follow the below steps to extract the .tar.gz file through an online site.
- Open your browser and go to the Extract.me site. Click on the Choose File button and choose the .tar.gz file that you want to extract.
Note: You can also just drag & drop the file over it.
Uploading the file to online archive extractor
- It will start uploading the file and once completed it will show the successfully extracted files.
Downloading extracted files
- You can simply download all of those as a ZIP file or click on each file to download them separately as they are.
Extracting a .tar.gz File by WinRAR
WinRAR is another archiver utility for Windows that is pretty famous and everyone knows about it. This software is used to compress and decompress different types of data in Windows. However, this software doesn’t come with the Windows operating system and users need to install it from the Internet. Most of the archiver utilities have similar steps to extract files as shown below:
- Open your browser and go to the WinRAR official site. Download the setup and install the application by following the installation steps accordingly.
- Open the File Explorer and go to the location where your .tar.gz file is located. Right-click on it and choose the Extract Files or Extract Here option.
Extracting file through WinRAR
- This will easily extract the TAR file to the same location or the location you provided.
There are also some other methods that can work pretty well for extracting this kind of files in Windows. Just like these two applications, there are multiple other applications that can extract .tar.gz files and comes with additional features. The same goes for the online method or any other method.