Depending on how you plan on using your Windows computer, it might make a lot of sense to convert your basic disk into a dynamic disk since it gives you access to a whole plethora of features that are not available if you stick to the traditional hard disk type.
Before we dive into the actual methods, it’s important to understand the differences between a basic and dynamic disk. This will help you decide if converting is the best option for you.
Basic Disk vs Dynamic Disk
Although there are times where it makes a whole lot of feel to alternate your disk kind to dynamic, there also are situations where you’re better of sticking with a Basic Disk.
To placed it in reality, simple disks are more appropriate for everyday pc users that do, well, normal matters. Unless you’re an IT administrator or a complicated Windows user captivated with high-quality-tuning your laptop overall performance via using multiple tough disk, the use of a dynamic disk need to be your desire.
Here are the 3 main advantages of using a dynamic disk over a basic disk:
- Dynamic disks are capable of creating volumes that span multiple disks. By using this technique, you’ll get better use of your available disk space since you’ll be able to combine areas of unallocated space in volumes that are shared across multiple disks.
- You can only create fault-tolerant volumes (either RAID-5 or mirrored) if you’re using dynamic disks.
- Using a dynamic drive, you have the ability to save data to different hard disks and form so-called ‘stiped volumes. These will improve the disk performance by letting in more than one disk drive to drive read and write data.
How to Convert a Basic Disk to Dynamic disk
Now which you are familiar with the benefit of making a dynamic disk, allow’s cross over all the ways with a view to will let you make the transition from a Basic Disk to a Dynamic disk underneath Windows.
There are 3 conversion methods that will assist you to improve to a dynamic disk with out inflicting records loss, however this isn’t a given fact. Things which might be totally past your control can pass wrong throughout the conversion system, so our recommendation is to take some time and back up your difficult drive statistics earlier than taking any additional steps.
Now which you have the safety degree in vicinity, allow’s cross over all of the to be had answers as a way to can help you convert to a dynamic disk with out data loss:
- Using Disk Management
- Using Diskpart from an elevated Command Prompt
- Using a 3rd party tool
Below we’ll come up with the steps for each of those strategies. Feel unfastened to follow whichever approach you sense most comfortable with.
PRO TIP: Generally speaking, using a third birthday celebration tool is taken into consideration safer considering maximum answers presently on the market have a few additional protection mechanisms with the intention to shield you in opposition to an eventual data loss. But relying at the device you pick, you might want to invest in a software license.
1. Convert to a Dynamic Disk using Disk Management
If you prefer the integrated device that’s sponsored up by means of Microsoft, the usage of Disk Management might be the option to go in your case.
Using Disk Management, you may without problems convert a simple disk to a dynamic disk with out downloading any sort of 0.33-celebration software program. The disadvantage is that during a few cases, the operation will fail because of a computation blunders and you run the risk of facts loss.
If you’re prepared to go this route, comply with the instructions under to convert a simple disk to a dynamic disk using Disk Management:
- Press Windows key + R to open up a Run dialog box. Next, inside the text box, type ‘diskmgmt.msc’ and press Enter to open up Disk Management.
- When you’re prompted by the User Account Control (UAC) prompt, click Yes to grant admin access.
- Once you’re inside the Disk Management interface, select the basic disk that you want to convert to dynamic from the bottom-side menu, right-click on it and choose to Convert to Dynamic disk from the context menu that just appeared.
Note: Double-check to make sure that you are converting the right disk to dynamic before proceeding any further.
- Once you are certain that you are trying to convert the correct disk, click Ok to finish the process and complete the transition to a dynamic disk.
If you’re looking for a different way of converting your basic drive to a dynamic equivalent, move down to the next method below.
2. Use a CMD Command to Convert a Basic Disk to Dynamic
If you don’t shrink back from the usage of terminal commands to get matters performed beneath Windows, you’ll be glad to recognize you could additionally use Diskpart inner Command Prompt to transform to a dynamic disk from a fundamental equal.
This technique is likewise with out records loss and will arguably come up with greater manipulate over the transition process.
Follow the instructions underneath to make the conversion to a Dynamic Disk from a Basic equivalent:
PRO TIP: If the difficulty is along with your pc or a pc/pocket book you ought to try the use of Restoro Repair which could experiment the repositories and replace corrupt and lacking documents. This works in maximum cases, where the issue is originated because of a device corruption. You can download Restoro by Clicking Here
- Press Windows key + R to open up a Run dialog box. When you’re prompted by the Run text box, type ‘cmd’ and press Ctrl + Shift + Enter to open an elevated Command Prompt.
- When you’re prompted by the User Account Control prompt, click on Yes to grant admin access to the CMD prompt.
- Once you’re inside the elevated Command Prompt window, run the following commands in the same order as below and press Enter after each one to convert your basic disk to dynamic:
diskpart list disk select disk X convert dynamic
Note: Keep in mind that X is simply a placeholder for the disk that you want to convert. Make sure to adjust the select disk X command in order to select the correct drive E.G. ‘select disk0‘. You can ensure that fetch the disk number from the return you get after you run the ‘list disk‘ command.
- Once every command is successfully imputed, type ‘exit’ and press Enter to end the disk conversion process.
- Close the elevated Command prompt.
If you want the conversion process to be handled by a 3rd party tool, move down to the next method below.
3. Use a 3rd party tool to Convert a Basic Disk to Dynamic
If you feel comfortable with using a 3rd party tool to facilitate the conversion process from basic to dynamic, there are a few reliable utilities that you can use to get the job done:
- EaseUS Partition Master
- Partition Wizard
All of those equipment gets the job done, however with a number of these, you might need to get the PRO variations so one can be able to use the conversion feature.
Fortunately, EaseUS offers this feature with the loose model of the app. Follow the manual under for little by little commands on converting a fundamental disk to dynamic:
- Open up your browser and download the latest version of EaseUS from the official download page.
- Once you arrive on the correct page, click on Free Download and follow the instructions to download the installer locally.
Note: When you’re prompted about the package you want to go for, make sure to download the free version. EASE.US allows you to convert a basic disk to dynamic with the free version, but you’ll need the PRO version to convert a dynamic disk back to basic.
- Once the installer is downloaded locally, open the installer, give it admin access at the UAC (User Account Control) and click on Install Free at the second prompt to install the free version.
- Wait until the installer downloads the install files locally and finishes the installation on your computer.
- Once the installation is complete, click on Start Now to open the tool.
- Inside EaseUs Partition Master, simply right-click on the basic disk that you want to convert and choose Convert to Dynamic from the context menu that just appeared.
- Once the command is loaded, click on Execute Operation (from the ribbon bar at the top) to start the conversion process.
- Wait until the operation is complete, then reboot your PC.
TIP: If none of the Methods have resolved the issue for you, we recommend using Restoro Repair Tool which can scan the repositories to replace corrupt and missing files. This works in most cases, where the issue is originated due to a system corruption. Restoro will also optimize your system for maximum performance. You can download Restoro by Clicking Here