Apex legends is a free to play battle royale that was published by Respawn Entertainment. The game was released quite recently in February of 2019. However, quite recently a lot of reports of an error Code 0x887A0006 – “DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG” have emerged. This error is triggered while trying to launch the game and it prevents the users from playing the game. After launching the game executable, the game is automatically closed and this error message is displayed.
Engine Error Code 0x887A0006
What Causes the Apex Legends Engine Error?
After receiving a lot of reports of the error we investigated the issue and devised a set of solutions which were implemented by users to eradicate the error. Also, we looked into the reasons due to which this error was being triggered and listed them below.
- Outdated Drivers: The game was released quite recently and is not well optimized to run smoothly on old graphics cards. Therefore, it often faces crashes and random freezes if the drivers of the system are outdated.
- Missing Files: In some cases, certain game files can go missing or become corrupted over time. The game needs all of its files to be intact in order to load correctly therefore if any file is missing from the game it might crash.
- Registry Settings: The error can also be triggered if there is a certain command missing from the Windows Registry. This command is elemental in loading the game’s graphics and if missing it can cause issues with the loading process of the game causing it to crash.
- Administrative Privileges: Certain elements of the game need permissions to read sensitive files on the computer or even require “write” privileges. If these privileges are not provided the game might face random crashes and it might also trigger the engine error.
Now that you have a basic understanding of the nature of the problem we will move on towards the solutions. Make sure that you implement these solutions in the specific order they are provided in.
Solution 1: Providing Administrative Privileges
The game needs administrative privileges in order for all of its elements to function correctly. If these permissions are not provided the game might face issues while trying to launch. Therefore, in this step, we are going to be providing the game administrative privileges.
- Right-click on the “Apex Legends” icon and select “Open File Location“.
- Right-click on the “r5apex” executable and select “Properties“.
- Click on the “Compatibility” tab.
- Check the “Run as Administrator” box and click on “apply“.
- Run the game and check to see if the issue persists.
Providing Administrative Privileges.
Solution 2: Verifying Game Files
In some cases, certain game files can go missing or become corrupted over time. The game needs all of its files to be intact in order to load correctly therefore if any file is missing from the game it might crash. Therefore, in this step, we will be using the origin client to verify the game files.
- Open the Origin client and sign in to your account
- Click on “Game Library” option on the left pane.
Opening “Games Library”
- Inside the “Game Library” tab, right-click on “Apex Legends” and select “Repair Game”
Selecting “Repair Game”
- The client will begin to verify the game files.
- Once done, it will automatically download any missing files and replace the corrupted files if any.
- Run the game and check to see if the problem persists.
Solution 3: Adding Registry Command
The error can also be triggered if there is a certain command missing from the Windows Registry. Therefore, in this step, we are going to be adding the command to the Windows Registry. For that:
- Right–Click anywhere on the desktop, hover the pointer over to “New>” and click on “Text Document“.
Right-Clicking on the desktop and selecting “Create New Text Document” option
- Add this command to the document
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
Adding the command to the document.
- Now hover the pointer to the “File” option on the top left and select the “Save As” option.
Clicking on the “Save As” option.
- Select “file.reg” as the file name, “All files” as the format and click on “Save“.
Saving the file in “.reg” format.
- Now double click the saved file to open it.
- Click on “Yes” once the warning message appears.
Clicking “Yes” on the warning prompt.
- Now run the game and check to see if the error persists.
Solution 4: Updating Graphics Card Drivers
The game was released quite recently and is not well optimized to run smoothly on old graphics cards. Therefore, it often faces crashes and random freezes if the drivers of the system are outdated. In this step, we are going to be checking and applying new updates to the graphics card drivers. For which:
For Nvidia Users:
- Click on the Search bar on the left-hand side of the taskbar
Clicking on the Search bar
- Type in Geforce Experience and press enter
- Click on the first icon to open the application
Opening Geforce Experience
- After signing in, Click on the “Drivers” option on the top left.
- In that Tab, Click on the “Check for Updates” option on the top right
- After that, the application will check if new updates are available
Checking for Updates
- If the updates are available a “Download” button will appear
Click on the Download button
- Once you click on that the driver will begin to download
- After the Driver is downloaded the application will give you the option for “Express” or “Custom” installation.
- Click on the “Express” installation option and the Driver will automatically be installed
- After the installation is completed, run the game and check to see if the problem persists.
For AMD Users:
- Right–Click on the Desktop and select AMD Radeon Settings
Opening AMD Radeon Settings
- In the Settings, click on Updates in the lower right corner
Clicking on Updates
- Click on “Check For Updates”
Clicking on “Checking for Updates”
- If a new update is available a new option will appear
- Click on the option and select Update
Clicking on “Update Now”
- The AMD installer will start, click on Upgrade when the installer prompts you to
- The installer will now get the package ready, check all the boxes and click on Install
- This will now download the new driver and install it automatically
- Restart your computer and try to run the game.
Solution 5: Underclocking the Graphics Card
If you have overclocked your graphics card to run at a frequency greater than the one set by the factory settings it can cause issues with the game. The developers limit the card’s frequency at a certain clock and if it is increased it causes an increase in the card temperatures and sometimes even in the instability of the graphics card. Therefore, it is recommended not to overclock the Graphics card and return it to its factory settings.